Smart Countdown FX Easy Recurring Events adds recurring events support to Smart Countdown FX. It requires Smart Countdown FX version 1.2.3 or later, please do not forget to update before installing this plugin.
Smart Countdown FX Easy Recurring Events is a stand-alone plugin and it doesn’t need any other event management plugins installed or services API (like Google Calendar) configured for sharing. This plugin adds a basic recurrence to Smart Countdown (as it’s said in plugin title) but it has a special feature: two independent configurations which can be used individually (if two widgets on your site have to follow different recurrence patterns) or merged, as in the samples below.
Smart Countdown FX Easy Recurring Events supports “countdown to event end” mode.
The samples below illustrate both normal “auto” and “countdown to event end” counter modes. They show a fictitious “Live help desk” opening hours which are scheduled as follows (all times in CET):
- 09:00 – 18:00 Mon – Fri
- 10:00 – 17:30 Sat
- Closed – Sun
When event is not running both counters will show the same values and message. When event is in progress the counters below will behave differently.
“Auto” mode – count up from event start during the event
“Countdown to event end” mode – countdown to event end during event
When “Easy Recurring Events” is installed and enabled it will add the following option to “Smart Countdown FX” widget configuration screen:
Recurrence patterns can be configured in plugin settings (setting from the screenshot below differ from those used in samples):
Each of two “Easy Recurring Events” configurations has the following options:
- Title – Enter a descriptive title, when choosing an “event import profile” in Smart Countdown FX widget configuration it will be easier to know which recurrence pattern you activate.
- Recurrence pattern – “Disabled”, “Hourly”(1), “Yearly”, “Monthly”, “Weekly” and “Daily”. Choose the desired pattern and set additional data (month, date and time). For “weekly” pattern you can select one or more days in a week. “Disabled” option turns recurrence off. If a disabled import profile is selected in widget options the counter will not be displayed at all because no upcoming events will be found. To return to internal “Event date and time” setting from widget, choose “Disabled…” option in “Import events from:” widget setting or remove “import_config” attribute from shortcode.
- Depending on the recurrence pattern selected, other option fields are displayed: month, date, week days, time and interval, they are self-explaining.
- Duration – event duration in hours:minutes format, from 0:00 (no duration, when event time arrives immediately switch to next event in schedules) to 47:59(2). All events in a recurrence pattern will have the same duration.
The shortcodes for “Easy Recurring Events” are:
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::1″ – follow configuration 1 pattern only
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::2″ – follow configuration 2 pattern only
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::3″ – follow configuration 3 pattern only
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::4″ – follow configuration 4 pattern only
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::1::2″ – merge patterns 1 & 2
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::3::4″ – merge patterns 3 & 4
- import_config=”scd_easy_recurrence::1::2::3::4″ – merge all patterns
Countdown to event end mode:
1) “Hourly” pattern only supports intervals (1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 or 12 hours) which guarantee that recurrence behaves the same way every day, otherwise pattern definition would be ambiguous. E.g. starting from 2:30 am using 4 hours interval will produce: 2:30 am, 6:30 am, 10:30 am, 2:30 pm, 6:30 pm and 10:30 pm events every day.
2) It is your responsibility to set event duration compatible with recurrence pattern. If event duration is bigger than recurrence interval, events will overlap.
3) Other modes: “auto” (default), “countdown”, “countup”, etc. Refer to https://wp.smartcalc.org/reference/ for details.